As Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), commonly known as Drones have become cheaper, we have seen an increase number of companies being approached & offered aerial services. A lot of them are operating illegally, without the CAA permission or insurance.
By Law, In the UK, any company or person using drones commercially requires permission from the Civil Aviation Authority. To obtain CAA permission the company has to ensure that the firms' staff are fully trained in UAV use and a wide range of relevant areas which affect UAV operation. Some of those areas includes but are not limited to training, weather, UAV handling, human factors and emergency procedures. It is a requirement for a drone pilot to be fully trained and hold the relevant qualifications which are recognised by CAA. All Sanbi Pilots hold UAPQ-7 qualification & we have CAA permission for aerial work across the UK.
Here is what we think you should look for when hiring Aerial Photography Company.
- Ensure the company has CAA permission for aerial work, you can check on the CAA website
- Insurance, make sure the company has a UAV insurance policy (legal requirement).
- Work together, will they work with you to help create a result which you want or just do whatever they think best? At Sanbi we work with our clients to create the results they are seeking.
- What is their policy if the weather is bad on the day? We will re-book for a future date without charge if we deem the weather is too bad to operate, health and safety comes first.
- Ask about their prices and confirm what is and what isn't included. You may well find that some firms have a large number of surcharges which substantially inflate the overall cost. We have a simple and transparent pricing structure. No nasty surprises here!
Best of luck with your shoot! If you'd like to find out more about our services or even just ask a question do give us a call.